Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Royal Path of Life


Make a home; beautify and adorn it; cultivate all heavenly charms within it; sing sweet songs of love in it; bear your portion of toil, and pain, and sorrow in it; con daily lessons of strength and patience there; shine like a star on the face of the darkest night over it, and tenderly rear the children it shall give you in it. High on a pinnacle, above all earthly grandeur, all gaudy glitter and all fancied ambitions, set the home interests. Feed the mind in it; feed the soul in it; strengthen the love, and charity and truth and all holy and good things within it!

~from the Royal Path of Life, by Haines & Yaggy, 1879

Quote found within my Treasury of Vintage Homekeeping Skills

I love this quote, but as I finished typing in order to post this, I looked over where the tots are playing and observe my 2 year old pouring a bottle of elmer's glue (cap completely off) onto the dining table. To his credit, he was aiming for the construction paper on the table where Bella and I had glued fall leaves yesterday. So I may have to alter my version of the above quote to read,
"Make a home, beautify it... and do your best to protect it from becoming completely mangled by little critters who have an uncanny talent for undoing, sabotaging, and destroying any efforts made by you to adorn and clean it... and so on...

Nate often refers to Landry as our "Little Critter" and it reminds me to laugh when I might normally turn bright red with anger and frustration at his curious toddler exploits.



"I wanted to make something special for you like my big sister, but the glue was too fast." ~ Landry a.k.a Little Critter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home