Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hospitality Inspiration

Here's a little something I found in my "Treasury of Vintage Homekeeping Skills" book on being a Prepared Hostess. It goes right along with Nancy Campbell's study on Hospitality:

The Prepared Hostess

P Prepare and plan ahead
R Rejoice in every good thing
E Expect your children to have manners
P Please your own husband
A Artistry- Each meal is a work of art
R Refresh others
E Edify with words round your table
D Devotions around the family table

I keep finding things that are inspiring me to fully embrace my daily duties as the Keeper of Our Home. My desire is to turn my habitual chores into an offering of gratitude to the Lord each new day He gives me to spend with my husband and children. They are truly His gifts and I want to always treat them as such.

Anyone have any ideas on how to implement "Devotions around the family table" with little ones? Ms. Campbell encourages us make our meal times a place to not only feed our family's tummies but also fill their spirits with the Word of God. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this...

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger B-ri said...

Josh and I read a devotional most days. He likes to hold the devotional, so I saved an old one for him to hold while I hold the real one and read it aloud. He seems to pay attention and if he isn't I'm counting on God's Word never going void. I think you could read something short at dinner. Our devotional is 2 or 3 minutes long. Over time, the length can grow and the kiddos can do the reading. Then, when they are even older we can discuss what we read, how it relates to practical life, etc. I think starting something so you have something to build on is important.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger sk said...

How sweet... great idea to let him hold a copy! I would have never thought of that.
Annie mentioned something about "Prayer Boxes" on one of her posts. She gives the girls a 3x5 notecard and they draw someone or something to pray for during the meal time prayer. Great idea for toddlers who love to draw, like Bella!
You can put their cards together in a prayer book I suppose. What a creative prayer and thoughtful prayer time you would have. We should bring this up in our NP class sometime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home